Applications for the December 2018 Trip are now being accepted.
Dates: December 12-20, 2018
At this time Kakehashi is only open to individuals with Japanese ancestry, if there are any changes to this policy, updates will be posted to this page.
A separate application will be opened at a later date for a trip occurring in February 2019.
Deadline: September 23,2018, 11:59 pm HST
A completed application consists of the following items:
- Completed application. If you are of Japanese ancestry, please fill out this application: Japanese American application. You will upload the following documents on this application.
- Completed supplemental application submitted as a PDF
- No boxes should be left empty, if the question does not apply to you, please put N/A or none. You can fill out as xlsx or pdf then submit as pdf
- Hand signed Letter of Understanding submitted as a PDF
- A current photo (taken within 3 months)
- A copy of your valid passport. If you do not have a valid passport at this time, you may submit documentation that proves you have already applied for a passport, you must submit a copy of your actual passport no later than October 21. If you do not submit a copy of your passport by the October 21, you will not be able to attend the trip
All documents to be submitted with application.
- Must be interested in U.S – Japan relations, as well as Japanese American interests.
- Japanese American Ancestry
- Currently enrolled in a community college, undergraduate, graduate, or young professionals who have an undergraduate or graduate degree.
- Individuals with US permanent resident status may be accepted.
- Must be at least 18 years old at the time of application and no older than 25 on the day they intend to depart for Japan.
- Japanese nationals, or Japanese passport holders, are restricted from applying, including those with dual citizenship
- Those who have participated in Kakehashi or other programs funded by the Japanese government are ineligible.
- Those who have studied or stayed in Japan for over a year are ineligible.
- Participants are required to participate in a series of webinars that will posted on this website.
- You do not need to be a JACL member to be eligible.
*Please be sure to review the JICE Application Guidelines, found here.
Sample Itinerary– Please note that the schedule is just an example, there may be changes.
Apply to be a supervisor
Fill out this application by October 4, 2018, 11:59 pm HST.
Application – September 23, 2018, 11:59 pm HST
Passport – October 21, 2018, 11:59 pm HST
*Applicants will be notified of their decision through the email submitted and must accept their spot.
Some domestic US travel for the Kakehashi program is provided by Southwest Airlines.