A completed application consists of the following items:
- Completed application
- Completed supplemental application submitted in pdf form
- Hand signed Letter of Understanding in pdf form
- A current photo (taken within 3 months)
- A copy of your valid passport. If you do not have a valid passport at this time, you may submit this application without it and still be considered, but you must submit a copy of your passport no later than the dates listed below for each trip. It is highly recommended that you apply for a passport as soon as possible since it may take up to 6 weeks for routine processing. If you do not submit this information by the stated deadline, you will not be able to attend the trip.
Here are the requirements to be eligible to apply for the Kakehashi Project:
– Japanese/Japanese American or Asian American
– Currently enrolled in a community college, undergraduate, graduate, or young professionals who have an undergraduate or graduate degree.
– Must be at least 18 years old at the time of application and no older than 25 on the day they intend to depart for Japan.
-Japanese nationals, or Japanese passport holders, are restricted from applying, including those with dual citizenship
-Participants are required to participate in a series of webinars that will posted on this website.
-You do not need to be a JACL member to be eligible.
*Please be sure to review the JICE Application Guidelines, found here..
The application can be found here.
Apply to be a supervisor
Fill out this form by September 30th and send it to email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Trip 1: December 13-21, 2017
Application Deadline: October 9, 2017
Copy of Passport Deadline: October 31, 2017
Selection Notification: First week of November
Trip 2: March 12-20, 2018
Application Deadline: January 2, 2018
Copy of Passport Deadline: January 26, 2018
Selection Notification: Early February 2018
*Applicants will be notified of their decision by selection dates through their email.
Some domestic US travel for the Kakehashi program is provided by Southwest Airlines.